On February 5, 1852 the New Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg opened to the public. The Hermitage is one of the largest and oldest museums in the world, founded in 1754 by Catherine the Great. Originally, the museum consisted only of the Small Hermitage. It has since grown to six buildings in the central site as well as other sites around the city and around the world. From left to right, we see Hermitage Theatre – Old Hermitage – Small Hermitage – Winter Palace. The New Hermitage is behind the Old Hermitage.
The New Hermitage was designed by German architect Leo von Klenze and is characterized by historicity. The entrance is supported by Atlantan figures in grey granite and remainder of the exterior is decorated with bas-reliefs and statues of famous artists of the past.