World Snake Day

For no descernible reason, July 16 is celebrated as World Snake Day. Here are some amazing facts about snakes from OneKindPlanet.org.

  • There are over 3000 kinds of snakes in the world. They are present in every continent except Antarctica
  • Snakes can open their mouths up to 150 degrees, allowing them to eat things that are 75-100% bigger than their own size. It has even been known for a snake to burst after eating prey that is too big for its stomach!
  • Some snakes can breathe partially through their skin allowing them to dive deep underwater
  • There are around 700 species of venomous snakes. The venom is used for self-defense and for killing prey
  • Rattlesnakes have a loud rattle on the end of their tail which they use if they feel threatened. Other snakes hiss when they are threatened
  • Despite snakes often being feared, more people are killed by bees than snakes every year
  • 70% of snake species lay eggs while the other 30% give birth to live young
  • The Black Mamba is the fastest snake in the world and can move up to 12mph (20kmph)!
  • The smallest snakes in the world are Brahminy blind snakes which can be as short as 2 ½ inches long. They are often mistaken for earthworms
  • There is an island in Brazil that has up to 5 snakes per square metre! People are not allowed to go to the island as it is the home of the Golden Lancehead snake which is critically endangered.

Disclaimer: The information on this website is accurate to the best of my knowledge at the time of writing. I make no guarantee as to its accuracy. Its purpose is to inform, educate, amuse, and raise awareness about causes and opportunities around the globe. I also encourage civil debate in the comments.

Flag Counter

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.